Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My friend has applied to the Family Court for access to his

Customer Question

My friend has applied to the Family Court for access to his son, Amir Hussain (aged 6 years). All requests for access made over the past year have been refused by his former wife. She accuses him of domestic violence against her. The Case will be heard at the Family Court in Bradford on 7 September 2016 (1.5 days). He does not have enough money to pay for a solicitor/barrister, so would have had me as his "MacKenzie friend", however, at the previous hearing the solicitor for his former wife objected that this was a "private family matter", so they did not want me there. This same objection would be raised again on 7 September 2016. I am concerned that he will again be in court without support. I have just returned from hospital or would have attempted to get help before now.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 months ago.

I see. If your friend needs representation then he really should get a barrister to represent him if he (with your help) can afford it. I would try and renegotiate with the barrister's chambers. If he is not represented you can argue that it is unfair pursuant to art 6 of the ECHR - but this may simply delay matters. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dear ***** Judge, I already knew that my friend Khodadad should not be facing 1.1/2 days in the Family Court at Bradford on his own, but after negotiating with the recommended Broadway House Chambers at Bradford, they said that the least they could charge to have a barrister supporting him would be £1,500 + £750 = £2,250. Khodadad does not have so much money to spend, specially as there is no certainty of a positive outcome, and he is not willing for me to pay it for him! The case is to be heard at the Family Court in Bradford on 7+8 September 2016, which leaves little time for preparation. Yesterday I received a large "bundle" of papers from Makin Dixon (Solicitors for Khodadad's former wife) at Bradford to be used in the "finding of fact" case. We seem to have no alternative but for Khodadad to go on alone.

I see. I would be minded then to apply at court for you to act an his MacKenzie Friend - that any objection would be unfair and in breach of his Art 6 and 8 rights