Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

My son is going through a divorce at the moment, with the

Customer Question

My son is going through a divorce at the moment, with the usual rancour between parties. The problem is our grandson is in a strange environment, but we as grandparents would like to see our grandson. How do we stand legally?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello Kevin

This is a difficult position for grandparents. Whilst the courts do appreciate the value of grandparents the court does not have to take them into regard when making orders.

Therefore the legal position is, unfortunately from your perspective, that grandparents have no legal rights.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

It is very difficult for grandparents when there is a separation

In general terms the grandparents are expected to be part of the time that the child spends with the non resident parent and your first steps should be to encourage and support your son in establishing a good pattern of time that the child spends with him so that you you can share it

If that is not possible for any reason then if you have had a close relationship with the child in the past then you can ask the court for permission to apply for an order - and if the court feels that it is in the best interests of the child then it will be granted

You can read more here

Please ask if you need further details