michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
12609314

We took in a 16 year old friend of my sons about a year and

Customer Question

We took in a 16 year old friend of my sons about a year and a half ago, she was kicked out of her home for being bi sexual and not wanting to go along with her mothers johova witness religion. My wife and I asked her if she was happy with us and if she wanted to be adopted. She was very keen so we made enquiries with the local authority adoption services who told us that she would be 18 before the process would be finished and it was not worth it. She is now 18 and we would still like to adopt her, is this still possible?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we haven't got a lot of money and don't want to waste any if it's not a viable option
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: only that she is 18 now and we want to know if we can still adopt her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  michael holly replied 5 months ago.

I am afraid that in law it is not possible to adopt an adult.

However, as she is an adult there are other things that can be done to recognise the bond between you.

She can change her surname by deed poll to your family name.

Best wishes

Michael