Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

At what age may a child choose which parent they wish to

Customer Question

At what age may a child choose which parent they wish to live with, and would this require a court order.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 4 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

There is no specific age where upon the law confirms that a child can make the decision to love with one parent as opposed to another. However the older the child the louder the court will listen to the child. So basically from about 13 or*****will usually follow the wishes and feelings of a child. Younger than that and this will be a factor which the court will consider - the older then the more weight given to their view. If you do not have the consent of the other parent then it is usually necessary to go to court. There is an excellent book on the matter - for about a tenner. I hope that this helps. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.