Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I have been named as co-respondent in an acrimonious divorce

Customer Question

I have been named as co-respondent in an acrimonious divorce in the Bahamas. the judgement passed named the respondent and me as being liable for 33k costs. I have now received a note from a UK lawyer saying I have to pay the whole amount?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: My divorce lawyer passed it to my corporate lawyer, no one seems to know and are advising me to get a lawyer in the bahamas
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: such as?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
Can we have the full background detail please including where everyone is based, where you are based, whether this has actually gone to court or not and why you were named?Did the respondent and you not defend the petition?Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The respondent and his ex wife live in the Bahamas. I live in London. I believe the respondents solicitor acted in my behalf but just told me not to worry about it. I didn't know I needed representing in court. I have now been served with an interim taxation certificate in payment of ex wife's court costs. Whynarenthey pursuing me and not the respondent? We had a shirt relationship after he had separated from his wife but she said in court they were still married.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
So, did he admit adultery?Please confirm that the divorce proceedings were in the Bahamas.Is the ex-husbands solicitor still telling you to simply ignore this?