Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

My boyfriend has been arrested and bailed until May 17th, because

Customer Question

My boyfriend has been arrested and bailed until May 17th, because of false allegations by his ex of harrasment. They work for same company, she has already tried to get him sacked, but he was not. He has been suffering from depression, and now on medication, and seeing a counsellor ,we are due to go on holiday abroad on Sunday 8th May, return 15th May, before bail date. Can he still go ? Thanks
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
What are his bail conditions?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no idea as his phone and tablet have been taken away by police, so can not contact him. He called me thursday via friends phone to tell me. He did say not allowed to leave country
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
He needs to check the conditions of his bail. Pre charge bail conditions are fairly rare actually. I would have expected a condition of non contact with the complainant rather than a condition of residence. It is possible that they have added that condition. If there is a condition that he cannot leave the country then indeed he cannot without breaching his bail. If that is his condition then they have probably seized his travel documents anyway. They might agree to the removal of that condition if there is a pre booked holiday. You can always appeal bail conditions imposed by the police to the Magistrates Court although it might not be possible to get it listed by the 8th May realistically. if there are no conditions then he is free to go. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi another question please, is being bailed by police to return to police station, different to court bail. I am going out of my mind with worry, as can not contact my boyfriend, do not know if we are going on holiday sunday or not with my two girls
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Why can't you contact hm?Yes, police bail is different to court bail.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We do not live together, we live 90 miles from each other, he has had his phone and tablet taken by police. What is the difference please, between police and court bail, thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
One is bail to a police station and the other is bail to court.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, I am aware of that, but does being bailed to court have more implications. Are you likely to have conditions attached to bail if through court. Also if not charged for anything, are you likely to have conditions attached through police bail
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Historically it did but not really all that much any more. The police have power to add conditions now.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Yes, pre charge police bail can contain conditions.