Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My ex partner is getting harassed by someone trying to serve

Customer Question

My ex partner is getting harassed by someone trying to serve a statutory demand on me. We split up recently and I'm currently staying at a friends.She has told him four times that I no longer live there. I'm currently away overseas on business otherwise I would arrange to meet and accept the demand which I intend on getting set aside.We split up over the person behind the demand so she is extremely upset.She is feeling very harassed and becoming frustrated that this man does not believe her.What are her rights if she is feeling alarmed and distressed?Thanks
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

If this is the last known address then he is entitled to serve it upon you there.

Whether she is feeling harassed is a non issue.

In fairness, it is really nothing for her to worry about. All she has to do is accept delivery or not as she chooses.

The other alternative is that she can give him your new address. He probably will try there as his goal is just to serve this.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't want him on the property of my ex-partners house. Its upsetting her.Can she call the Police if she is feeling harassed? She has asked politely to stop calling and he's ignoring. She will not give the address of my friends as we do not want to create any issues there. I will accept the document myself upon my return.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, nobody can stop her doing that but they will not act. He is not doing anything unlawful.

I wouldn't worry about whether this is upsetting her. All that is happening is that somebody is attending asking for you. It is just plain not really a ground to be upset I'm afraid.