Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

The mother of my child, with whom I have a difficult

Customer Question

The mother of my child, with whom I have a difficult relationship, has threatened to tell my now GF that she has seen me on a dating site to damage my relationship if I go for more contact with my little boy (I see him regularly but my ex will not allow him to come and stay at my house, which I am pushing for). Is this blackmail, as I would ot suffer a loss of property or money, but this is a threat / menace to force me into a course of action. What can this be classed as and can I stop her doing this if I go ahead with legal action to get more custody?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Of course it is blackmail - but not the type that would be of any interest to the police

The only way that you can fight this is to warn your girlfriend what is likely to happen - and to mention it within any eventual court proceedings to show the approach taken by your ex.

Please ask if you need further details

Clare

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. If she uses this to make me pay more maintenance then I already do (which is more than I should currently whilst I overpay for an expensive flat as near to a good school to get him in there) or to make me maintain this overpayment after we have agreed to, because that is leveraging me financially does that then become blackmail as she is being enriched and I am suffering a loss?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Highly unlikely