How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33827
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is an interesting one. With regards to my completing

Customer Question

This is an interesting one.With regards ***** ***** completing Form A (Divorce) – my partner has debt problems and doesn’t want to pay Child Support. He failed to make his first payment on time and we are all chasing him for it. I know Child Services will do their best to enforce the monthly payments throughout 2016 but to keep my options open should I tick the box in Form A which says “there is no agreement… applying for payment for children in addition to already paid under Child Support agreement”.The reason I feel I have to do this, is because I gather you only get ‘one shot’ at court-derived child support (albeit just one year’s worth) and child support is not an apparent category of ‘income’ in Form E, nor have I asked for interim spousal maintenance, so there appears to be nothing a court could ‘adjust’ under D11 application if I miss this ‘opportunity’.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is the CMS (new CSA) already involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry where I say 'child services' I mean Child Maintenance Service who calculated his statutory payment, levied it, and he's ignoring them. I realise they can garnish direct from salary source, adding their enforcement fee and deducting a little from my payment (when I eventually get a payment). I just wonder that with my ex having so many debts, should I ask the court for child support (in addition) to cover all bases. I lost my earning capacity to bring up children. With little prospect of interim / spousal maintenance and if he seeks to avoid child support or if I overlooked asking the court, my only hope is a larger slice of whatever capital exists.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that since the CMS are already involved the Court cannot deal with the matter.

In any event a Child Maintenance Order can only be made by the Court if both parties agree

Accordingly you cannot tick these boxes

Please ask if you need further details


Related UK Family Law Questions