Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Story of domestic abuse from my ex husband, who also

Customer Question

History of domestic abuse from my ex husband , who also attacked my son. Ex husband is not allowed unsupervised contact with my children due to social services investigation, I am happy about this . Paternal grandparents have occasionally had my children on sleepovers , once every two months , and sporadic other contact , I.e taking children for dinner . They were supervising my children with my ex husband but I am no longer allowing that as they did not supervise properly ,
Leaving the children alone with their dad whilst going in other rooms etc. Complete breakdown of trust and I have offered grandparents to Come and visit children in my home but they have refused and are now applying for permission to go to court . I have offered contact , what likely outcome will this have ? Due to history of domestic violence and the complications of trusting his parents and their loyalties to their son , I do not want these grandparents to have any unsupervised access , as it is my job to safeguard and if there is any doubt in my mind that the children are being emotionally or physically put in danger , I need to act . Can these grandparents get overnight visits ?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 11 months ago.

Have the grandparents made an application yet to the court for a child arrangement order?

Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for 30 years.

I appreciate that they have clearly not understood the serious nature of the requirement to supervise the contact the children have with their father.

Clearly this impacts on whether or not they can be trusted to have unsupervised contact without involving their son.

However rather than contact in your home it would be wiser to offer contact at a Contact Centre so that they see the children in a neutral but safe setting.

Without knowing more about the age of the children it is hard to be certain if or when overnight ocntact might again be a possibility but clearly it would not be in the immediate future

Please ask if you need further details

Clare