Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

A father has the full time care and control of three

Customer Question

A father has the full time care and control of three children under five all born in Wales. He is not working and has no benefits other than housing benefit. He is living apart from his wife who sees the children for about 2 hours, once each fortnight,
supervised by a social worker. This is because she has an alcohol problem. The father was granted child benefit for the three children in September 2015 for one month. Now he has had a letter stopping the child benefit because it is said that the wife is the
claimant. However the wife is not claiming and does not receive child benefit. What is the next step he can take to remedy the injustice.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why is he not claiming any other benefits - and will Social Services confirm that that the children live with him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know why he is not claiming. He does not like dealing with officials, forms etc. I don't think there is any problem about evidence for the children living with him. He has a worker from social services.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Your son needs to send a letter from the Social Services to the HMRC to prove that he does indeed have the care of the children - I am afraid the truth is that his ex has told them that she still has the children - that is why the problem has arisen.

You may also wish to try and persuade him to apply for the other benefits he is entitled to

You can find out more here

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details