Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I have a girlfriend who lives in Texas and has three kids by

Customer Question

i have a girlfriend who lives in Texas and has three kids by her ex boyfriend. She was never married to him but he is named as the father on the birth certificates. He currently lives about 3 hours away from his kids.
What I would like to know is can she move to the UK without any problems from her ex boyfriend?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are three children they all live with their mother in Texas USA. As I said their father also lives in Texas but about 3 hours away. They are all born in the US, parents and children. If I married my girlfriend and she decided to join me in the UK with her children could her ex boyfriend cause any problems?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Your girlfriend would need either the agreement of the father or an Order from the court to bring the children to the UK.

Failure to do so would give her ex the chance to use the UK courts to force the return of the children to the States

Clare