Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

5. 'I have gone through all the hoops that Social

Customer Question

5. 'I have gone through all the hoops that Social Services said that I had to to be able to have my children returned to me - but now they have given me a form that says I have to admit to neglect and abuse otherwise they will not be returned to me. I
don't want to sign it because I did not ever neglect or abuse my children. SS took my children because my house was untidy when they came to visit. What can I do?'
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Have court proccedings been commenced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you provide some more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more than I have given.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you unable to respond to my question?

You need to speak with a solicitor before making such concessions. You are entitled to seek legal advice on this. Presumably they have your children on the basis of s.20 or a court order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Concessions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see - you mean the signing of the papers. Understood. Yes there is an order - it says that I have been neglectful. But we live just as any other family does with normal house rules and normal untidiness. They didn't say that it was dirty or unhygienic. My ex partner has made many false allegations about the care of my children as he wants to have them in the custody of himself and his new partner. But I have disproved all of them. This is what I mean. Why should I now have to lie on a form and kick myself in the shin admitting to things that are not the truth?

If there is a court order in place you are entitled to legal aid to ensure that you are represented in these proceedings. The key is very often working with the LA - but this does not mean lying - you should take the papers to a specialist solicitor who deals in these cases. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suppose I am representing myself through many failed attempts with lawyers?

Look in these cases I would really recommend that as you will have the benefit of legal aid you get a good solicitor and barrister to represent you. Having a good barrister in court makes absolutely all of the difference. Happy to discuss but please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last solicitor told me to sign the papers - said that I had nothing to worry about. I knew it was bad advice which is why I am asking someone else. You.

I see, but if the case is still on going you could seek a new solicitor. It all comes down to what you admit/agree.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no need for me to feel forced into signing the form? SS said this will lose my child if I don't sign it.

Well they should NEVER be saying that for a start. But you do need to work with them - but you should be going through this document face to face with a lawyer.

I hope this helps - please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it isn't at all helpful because I don't have anyone on my side. You refer to a barrister or solicitor but they were awful and so I have been going through it myself. I didn't do anything wrong to have my children taken away - I have disproved all my ex's false allegations against me, singe-handedly in court, and at this point I am then bribed that if I don't sign a form admitting to the behaviour that I have disproved, then my children will not be returned to me. It it madness. The document doesn't say anything Judge Thomas.

You really should get a solicitor/barrister. I can not stress this enough. I know that you have been let down in the past but this will really give you the best chance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How exactly?

What?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will it give me the best chance - what will change and how exactly?

I am really trying to help you here - a barrister knows the law - if you can find one who you feel comfortable with then you have a much better chance in court than if you do not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isn't at all helpful unfortunately. We hit a wall in talking about it and you recommend putting it into the hands of someone else. Even if I could find a great barrister there is no way that I would make the mistake of trusting the whole thing in his hands and I would be asking him the same questions. you are a solicitor and I am paying for your answers so why the hell are you directing me to to ask a solicitor? I am sorry but I am finding this communication less than upright and worth our mutual time.

bye then