Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I have a 14 week old baby and 2 boys from a previous

Customer Question

I have a 14 week old baby and 2 boys from a previous relationship. My husband has just left us. Currently w we are residing in the family home and I am on maternity leave, I am unsure at this stage if I will return to work. My husband/mother in law are requesting at least 50/50 custody from Thursday morning until Sunday every week of the baby despite him working Monday to Friday I feel this is ridiculous particularly with the age of our baby and the fact this would involve removing a baby from it's mother and it's 2 siblings? Please can you let me know your thoughts as I feel very anxious as I feel I am being emotionally bullied into this arrangement that I don't believe represents my babies best interests.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

At 14 weeks the main issue for a baby is making a secure attachment to the principal carer - and there is

no basis on which a Court would make this Order - and certainly not when your ex is in fact not going to be with the child the entire time.

At this age little and often is the guide - building up over the months.

There is no reason why there should not be overnight contact within the year - assuming dad is a competent carer

You shoudl over to discuss this with your ex using Family mediation

www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk

Please ask if you need further details

Clare