Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can i refuse the contact order ? My ex husband attacked me infront of

Customer Question

Can i refuse the contact order ? My ex husband attacked me infront of my kids and he pleaded guilty to the crime ..he was given 6 months conditional discharge and now he is harrasing me to let him see the kids under supervison of my uncle. Me and my uncle are not on speaking terms. This is the contact order that he can meet with them under my uncles supervison but it was made before he pleaded guilty. He has no injunction put on him. he is now harrasing me and the kids through cafcas. Please i need advice, what will happen to me if i dont abide by the contact order?. The kids are 14 yrs and 10 yrs old turning 11 in november. The kids get so stressed out when they see him and i have two more elder children who do not want anything to do with him. What are my rights we were married for 19 yrs and now we have been divorced religiously for almost 5 yrs but not in a civil law.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If there is a contact order in place then you must comply with it or you will be in breach and he will be able to take you back to court for breach.
If he was given a conditional discharge and no restraining order then that indicates that the Magistrates didn't take the assault particularly seriously so it isn't going to stop him getting contact. Even a serious assault would not. It may lead to supervised contact in a contact centre but that wasn't deemed necessary.
This is not an issue of your rights I'm afraid. This is an issue of the rights of your child to have access to their father and if you attempt to interfere with that the court will enforce contact.
I'm afraid the days when allegations of domestic abuse obstructed contact have gone.
Sorry if that is bad news.
can I clarify anything for you?
Jo