How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5827
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
José M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Spanish national resident in the UK since the age of 2, my husb

Customer Question

I am a Spanish national resident in the UK since the age of 2, my husband is British. We married in Spain 13 years ago and have always lived in the UK. When seeking a divorce can I do it in either country.
Our pensions are similar. Our salaries are similar. So no maintenance on either side I would imagine.
The main issue is our property. Our house was bought with me bringing in a large deposit from a flat I owned when single so we did a tenants in common agreement dividing it up 60:40 in my favour. Will this still hold in UK and or Spain. The reason we did it was in case this happened so seems unfair for it not to!
We have two children. I would like joint custody. Currently he is being difficult about even facing up to the divorce so will not give me any idea of what he finds acceptable or not.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
José M spanish attorney.
You could manage in UK or in Spain
It will be better, cheaper, and faster with an agrement but if not possible you could manage by your own and judge will decide.
In my opinion, if you want joint custody, the best will be manage in Uk better Than in Spain
In al cases, try to get an agrement
Thank you

Related UK Family Law Questions