Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb during a divorce

Customer Question

Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb during a divorce in terms of sale of house split and if spousal maintenance is compulsory. My current solicitor reckons I will end up with nothing from the sale of the house and I will also be expected to pay £500 a month for 1 child and my soon to be ex wife
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  jusleen replied 1 year ago.
Hi Can you provide some further information regarding the assets and income of each as well as earning capacity? On so far as the law is concerned the starting point is 50/50 but the court has to consider the needs of the parties and dependant children. Therefore the court has a discretion when considering what orders to make to ensure that needs are met.