Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I left my property 3 weeks ago in the night in an emergency

Customer Question

Hi, I left my property 3 weeks ago in the night in an emergency situation as my ex attacked me and my son. He was arrested and charged with assault and goes to trial in August. He had bail conditions which stated he could not contact myself or my sons or go to my parents address where we are staying .He breached his bail conditions last week by texting and calling me, friendly at first then not so friendly when I didn't reply so after a day of texts I called the police who arrested him. He went to court yesterday where they basically gave him a ticking off and reiterated his conditions .My daughter and my father went to the property this morning to get my belongings and he allowed them to take our clothes but nothing else. He stated I owed him rent money. All the furniture was either brought with me that I've had for years or I bought it with my own money. We only lived together for 6 months and have no joint account or anything. How can I get my furniture etc.. back? My children don't have a bed to sleep on and all I have is the clothes we have on.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
What did the police say about the furniture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That it's a civil matter and they were there to prevent a breach of peace. The officer was very apologetic but said his hands were tied. They advised me to send him a solicitor letter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told my dad I can have my stuff when I pay him the money I owe him. I presume he's talking about rent or possibly money he paid for a holiday that we didn't go on as I'd left him and he was in custody .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent was due after I was forced to leave. I could have had him evicted from the property so we could return but.Don't want to go back as the house has bad memories for me and I need to be closer to my family. I'm in temporary accommodation at present and my children are split amongst the family
You are entitled to your stuff back. You could threaten to take him to court. You could issue court proceedings for the recovery of the items or indeed the money owed to you - but this may take some time. Very often a solicitor letter will bring someone to heel quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it make a difference that we were in a relationship albeit a short one cohabiting?
Not really. The simple fact is that you are allowed in law your items back.