Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I would like to ask some further questions please. I

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to ask some further questions please. I have done some research and have learnt that my ex-partner should pay child maintenance of 16% of his gross earnings up to £800pw and 12% of £800-£3000pw. If he earns over £3000pw, is he obliged
to pay any further maintenance? Also, he is self-employed and earns varying amounts each year. How do we calculate the amount and from which tax year do we start from? Is he under a duty of care to assist with housing financially on top of the child maintenance?
If yes, what is reasonable to expect his contribution to be?
Category: UK Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid for a fast response - am I going to get a reply??
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delay.
If he does in fact earn over £3000 a week gross then he is indeed obliged to make further payments but you will need to make an application to the Court using Schedule 1 of the Children Act and show what further funds are required to maintain a comfortable lifestyle for the children equivalent to the lifestyle they have when they stay with him.
This could well be in the form of accommodation expenses to supplement the child maintenance.
The assessment will be based on the income received in the previous tax year UNLESS there is evidence that the current year figures will be significantly different
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare