Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I am working with a lady who has been in a situation her drug

Customer Question

I am working with a lady who has been in a situation her drug addict husband for 7 years . Their children are 7 and 9 years old . He continually harasses them, puts the children at risk ( gave them a small blow torch to light paper with while he was driving ! ) etc since he was granted unsupervised visitation 6 months ago against her wishes . Cafcass suddenly changed their mind on the day of the hearing "incase the Judge thought he had not had unsupervised for long enough" even though he had a positive drug test and was arrested for having possession of Class a drugs in his home. The eldest child is uncomfortable and concerned for his sisters welfare. HE left them alone in McDonalds today while he went to a local shop and then he was knocked down by a car but not hurt. He then took them to Toys R Us and dropped them off to "play" and drove back to see the Police about his accident . Has he broken the law or not?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Sorry - he left the children alone in the shop and went to the police?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct. Apparently he dropped them off in the toy shop where they said they played on "4 wheelers" round the shop and he went, at that time to talk to the police regarding his being knocked down by a car on a pedestrian crossing when he left them in McDonald's supposedly to "get something" . Then the elder boy ( 9yrs) wanted to use the toilet so he left the 7yr old girl still riding around the toy shop ! This was his fortnightly "unsupervised" visit . the police were contacted by the Mother later that day when the children told her and it corresponded, in time, with the logged accident . The children told the police exactly what happened and their story never changed. The police stated that he had not informed them that he was on a contact visit with the children. Obviously the Mother has the choice to stop the visits but runs the risk of being arrested for contempt of court. So that does not appear to be a good option at this time. She does not have a solicitor as the legal aid can only be available if "domestic violence " is the issue. I need to know what to advise her to do next. All incidents do have log numbers but the police say that they have to establish a "crime" before prosecution.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
When was the last order made and when is the next hearing
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last year and there is not going to be another hearing as that. was the "final"

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
What is the current pattern of contact?
Clare