Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

There I have been separated from my wife since may 2009

Customer Question

hi there I have been separated from my wife since may 2009 what do I need to get a divorce please I have spoke to her and she has said get the papers and she will sign also what would the cost be please
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.
it is not the divorce itself which is expensive but arguing over children money if solicitors are involved.
The court fee is £410 for the divorce petition and you can start the process here
https://www.gov.uk/divorce/overview
normally, the respondent (your wife in this case) would be asked to pay the costs by the court, but you can agree between you either you pay or she pays or you divide the cost between you.
The sites that you have been looking at need to make a profit and they charge 69 quid plus the court fee of £410. You can get the documents from the above website so why pay the 69 quid?!
Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points arising from this?