Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

A 16 year old boy whos mother has custody has run away from

A 16 year old boy who's mother has custody has run away from home to be with his father who shouldn't be seeing him.

Can his mother make him come back?
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
At 16 it is up to the young man who he wishes to live with and any Residence Order actually ended on his 16th birthday.
If there is a serious safeguarding reason why he should not be with his father then Social Services MIGHT intervene - but they will not force the boy to return to mum.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. As I understand it, the father has previously shown violence towards the son and disowned him even destroyed his possesions. Does your reply still stand under those kind of circumstances?

I am afraid so.
Unless there is an Order in place that says he cannot go near his son then the Police cannot be involved.
Social Services MAY take action - but they still will not force the child to return to his mother
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I beleive there is some kind of order in place but don't know the detail.

Mother is concerned that this is a critical time for his education and, as a result of his running away, he is not attending school.

Any order that was made ended on his 16th birthday.
I am sorry but sadly there is no action that she can take to force his return