How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J , Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22344
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi - leaving aside any moral issues, we have a multi-part question

Customer Question

Hi - leaving aside any moral issues, we have a multi-part question relating to the potential eviction of our two adult children. We hope that you can provide a response.

Both children are now well into their 20's, and for various reasons we would like to 'release' them into the big wide world. This may need some legal backing as we can no longer put up with their antics.

The first question then is do we have any legal parental responsibility for housing them (either in our place of residence or by funding their residency in another property) as they are both beyond 18?

If we took the decision to 'evict' them how would we go about it? Can we do it informally, or do we have to go down a formal, legal road?

What notice period (through informal or formal procedures) do we need to give them to find alternative accommodation?

Do we have to state the reasons why we are evicting them?

At the end of that notice period, if they have made no attempt to vacate our property, are we entitled to a) move all their goods into boxes/bags outside the front door and b) change all the locks of front/back doors?

Can they legally challenge our decision?

Can they invoke the EC Human Rights bill?

Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Can you explain what is meant by 'moral blackmail' please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Playing on the heart strings.... "you've brought us up and must continue to do so"; "..we can't afford to live elsewhere.."; " can you even think about..." etc etc

Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Parental responsibility ends at 18

Once they are 18, you no longer have to home them and you can, if
you wish, give them reasonable notice (I would say probably a month is a
minimum) to leave after which you will lock them out and put their belongings
on the doorstep although beware of anything getting wet.

There is no human rights issue here because you were not
interfering with any human right to a home life. They can live where they like.
Human rights cannot force anyone is not dependent on you.

Don't worry about the moral issues, I have a very very close
friend who did exactly the same with his son (against his wife's wishes I might
add) who was a drug dealer and drug addict and after having the police round to
his very nice and respectable house on numerous occasions he finally came to
the end of his tether and literally told him to get out along with all his
belongings. It did focus the sons mind, but not for some months.

If you do lock the children out, and you can change the locks, and
they try to break in, call the police because that is criminal damage.

They are now no more than guests in your house and you are
entitled to do whatever you would do with guests to get rid of them.

It might be an idea to cut and paste this answer to show them.

If they feel differently, they should seek legal advice as indeed
you have done.

I think they are in for a bit of a shock.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further or answer any
specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22344
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Stuart J and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

As an aside or rather, as an addition, my colleague Claire has kindly said "give them 28 days written notice all the little b------ers, can use an obscure provision of the Family Law Act and get back in"

it is always as well to give notice in writing in any event


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks

Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

Glad to help. I hope you get it sorted.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Clare


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
< Last | Next >
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)