Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Hi, I am looking for advice on a number of issues relating

I am looking for advice on a number of issues relating to my ex-partner and father of my child.

Background:

1. He owes me a considerable amount of money (c. £25,000) and I have secured a court order for £10,000 of this debt which he initially tried to ignore. Eventually I managed to secure an Attachment of Earnings order for him to repay me on a monthly basis. Unfortunately, after 3 months of payments they stopped as he left his employer and I am unable to locate him as he has moved.

2. As the father of my daughter he is required to pay me maintenance and after considerable effort, the CSA managed to ensure he paid me on a monthly basis. These payments stopped at the same time as he left his employer and could not be located. I have been in communication with the CSA over the last 6 months and they have managed to track him down and they are in the process of evaluating the next steps in securing monthly payments and backdated monies owed. Unfortunately the CSA will not advise me of my ex-partners address, and therefore I am not currently able to proceed with enforcing the court order for the money he owes me.

3. My ex-partner has made it clear to me and the courts that he has no intention of paying back money owed and will do everything in his power to avoid doing so. I believe he has a mortgaged property (little equity), cars and motorbikes purchased on HP and pleads poverty despite previously having an annual income of £75,000+ for many years. He also has a child by a different partner (as advised by CSA) who I understand is also chasing him for child maintenance - you get the picture!!

Given this scenario I would therefore like assistance with the following queries:

1. What is the best way of locating his new address?
2. Is there a way of ensuring the CSA provide me details of his whereabouts?
3. Once located, what is the best way of enforcing the court order that I have?
4. I also want to start proceedings for the additional £15,000 owed, should I start this immediately once I locate him, or would it be better to get the current order enforced and paid first?

I look forward to some answers, in the meantime please let me know if there are any other details you need to help with giving best advice.

Thank you Hazel.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you.
In Order:_
1. An Enquiry Agent (Private detective) is your best hope here - Yell.com should give you some local numbers - average cost about £80
2. Sadly no by Statute they cannot give you the address (although it has in the past happened by accident when they have provided a full copy of a file (£10 under the Freedom of Information Act)
3. You need to find out his financial position so an Oral Examination would be a sensible first step - however all the options are set out here
http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-information/small-claims-court/enforcement.html
4. Personally I would suggest it was a good idea to find out what his financial position actually is before incurring extra costs - but that is a personal opinion - legally the choice is yours
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your answer.

Is it not at all legally possible for a court to instruct the CSA to give the address?

Thanks,

Hazel

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hazel
No I am afraid not
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Thanks for your advice.

Hazel

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.