How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30516
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is having a crisis and that may lead to him wanting

Customer Question

My husband is having a crisis and that may lead to him wanting to separate or worse divorce. I do not want to but would like to know my rights. We are joint owners and mortgagees of our home; I have paid the mortgage from my salary alone and other bills have been shared roughly equally. We have our last child still at home (16) My husband has a business from home and it has been doing quite well financially. I have a salary based pension and my husband has been contributing to a savings scheme for the last 10 yrs. I understand the normal 50/50 split and that the family home may stay until our child is 18 but as I can't afford to buy my husband out - is there any consideration given to the fact that I have paid the mortgage throughout as I would like to keep the home if at all possible. Am I right in thinking that his savings and business income could be offset against my pension? Should I re-mortgage in my name alone now? Or is it not worth it as it makes no difference?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
how can you remortgaging your sole name of the property is in joint names? Will he agree to that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband has now taken up with another woman but his behaviour is very erratic and he is clearly in a very confused state. She is an accountant and is seeking her own divorce but influencing him heavily as he has never been brilliant with money and is now spending his business income like there's no tomorrow.

He has already said that, as he is transferring his business to become a limited company to avoid affecting the personal assets as a sole trader, that I should consider putting the mortgage in my name.

The mortgage company has said that they would consider re-evaluating my application and that as long as I can afford the repayments there wouldn't be an issue with just transferring the mortgage to me.

The land registry is as joint "proprietors" and at the moment I am finding out if we are joint tenants or tenants in common on the deeds( as I have forgotten. Part of his crisis is that he has written out his own will which is not notarised or witnessed )

I'm really wanting to protect myself in the event of him separating or deserting. I am just keen to know my rights and whether I can stop him from doing anything without my knowledge. But in the event of him spending his money/assets - what can I do to protect myself, our child, my pension and the house?


Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The only basis on which this matter can be answered at all is with an idea of the financial situation.
This includes how much the property is worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What is the Cash Equivalent Transfer Value of your pension - what income do you each have and how much does he have in savings.
Does his business have any value in itself or is it just his ability that is the asset?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Chat Now With A Solicitor
13145 Satisfied Customers
25 years experience of all aspects of family law