Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

I had LPOA and was the joint bank account holder with one of

I had LPOA and was the joint bank account holder with one of my deceased mothers accounts in UK, which has now transferred into my sole name. The UK Bank has given the executor of the will copies of statements from that account and is now asking questions about various transactions. Am I correct in thinking that I am not required to answer these questions and have the Bank a case to answer for giving them the info without asking my permission.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

I am not entirely convinced that you do have a complaint against the bank as technically the executor would be entitled to copies of the bank accounts and presumably the questions arise from considering those accounts. You are not obligated to answer such questions unless the executor seeks a court order - however it is often easier (cheaper in the long run) where such questions are reasonable to answer same (the executor has a duty with regard to distribution and as such to satisfy themselves often questions are appropriate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In your opinion what is the % or likelihood or reason that a court order would be applied for in this situation if I didn't answer their questions.

It really comes down to the value of the estate and what the questions are which she is asking. If the value is not too much then it is probably unlikely that they would make such an application
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much would it normally cost to make the application including court costs and solicitor costs.

Such an application would normally cost somewhere between £3000 to £10000
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If there wasn't sufficient money in the estate to pay the court costs who would pay the balance

It is unlikely thy would bring such a claim for that reason
Did that assist?

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes thank you, but if the executor was adamant with the court case who would have to pay any additional costs?

In these cases the costs often come from the estate - they can come from the parties, but most commonly it depletes the estate