Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

my ex has lost his job. He is not working as he is taking the

my ex has lost his job. He is not working as he is taking the company to court and hoping for a payout. He says he doesn't have to pay maintenance as he is on benefits and he has the kids once a week and every other weekend. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does he pay via a Court Order or the CSA?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was done just between the two of us as it was seen to be amicable. He paid me £400 per month for the two children. Nothing was written down, it was just an agreement between the two of us.

Unfortunately then he is correct - if he has no income he need only pay the nominal £5 a week required form those on benefits
However you may wish to be certain that he has told you the truth and the only way of doing that is to make an application to the CSA I am afraid
Sorry I could not give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I can't get him to pay arrears when he does get a job? And I have no claim on his payout if he gets one when he takes his ex employer to court? He is deliberately not working to strengthen his employment case.

I am afraid that this is indeed correct on both points