Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Dear Rob, I currently have a joint mortgage with my ex

Customer Question

Dear Rob,

I currently have a joint mortgage with my ex partner. We separated several years ago and he moved out. I agreed to stay in the property and pay the mortgage in full. I then moved to London and asked him to contribute to the morgage payments. He ignored my calls and gave the mortgage company a false address and phone number. I contacted his parents and asked them to tell him that if he didn't call me back I would take legal action. He did and we started to rent the property out and I paid the shortfall. More recently in the last 2 months i have manged to get him to agree to pay £70 a month and when i had to get new tenants in he paid half of the admin fees when letting it out again. I am now in position where I just want to get the rid of the property and try and sell it. Is he entitled to any profit that I make? Is there anyway I can get him to start paying the full amount or claim any money back for the last few years

Thanks
Sarah
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting the property valued but they think it might be about £100,000 if not a bit more. The amount left to pay is £101,000. Me and my ex partner are not marries and never have been
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
So in fact it will cost you to sell the property and there is no profit?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably, if not a small profit £2-3000. There are properties in the same area going for £119,000, and hoping to get £110-115,000
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Do you have a record of the mortgage payments that you have made over the years since separation?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have my bank statements and my online ones. Is there anyway I can get any money back from him?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.