Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

My ex husband is refusing to give me his new address until

My ex husband is refusing to give me his new address until I 'allow' the children to stay with him. It is their choice not to go but he is using this as an excuse and telling me that he doesn't have to give me his address by law until they do go. Is this correct?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and why do you want his address if they are not wishing to stay with him?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The children are 11 and 13 and able to make up their minds on whether they want to go or not. I was looking for a point of contact and there is history of his continual lying. I do not want him to have the children and then have his parents there and need to know i can go and collect at any time. There is history with the parents and the lawyers had to write to tell them that they could not meet the children without me being there. He continually breaks this.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
What contact (if any) are the children actually having?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They see him forthnightly and spend the day with him. Last Saturday ws the youngest one's birthday celebration and he took them to his parents and then asked them to lie to me about it. This is why I want to make sure I know where he is so should they contact me I can collect. I do not stalk or chase after him. My real question was - is what he says i.e. the law sttes that he does not have to give me his address unless the children stay with - correct. Thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
There is certainly no legal requirement for him to give you his address if the children are not spending the night there I am afraid.
If the children were younger it could be argued that you needed it in the event of an emergency - but at their ages they are capable of letting you know where they are if necessary in any event
So sadly yes unless the children change their minds you will struggle to force a court to insist that he reveals his address
Please ask if you need further details
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law