Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

My dad died 18 months ago and his home which is in my brothers

My dad died 18 months ago and his home which is in my brothers name is XXXXX XXXXX shared out between me, my brother and his common law wife's 4 children so therefore I get 1/6 of the house when it is sold which means I would get about £14,000 after costs. My dad did not leave a will this is my brothers offer as the property is in his sole name. My ex has pointed out that this inheritance will be taken into consideration at court as he wants to have some of it even though the divorce is now absolute. My solicitor says he cannot touch it. Is he right?
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to help you
Since this Inheritance will have been received after the separation the court will not expect you to share it - although it is an asset you would have to declare within the financial side of the divorce
I hope that this is of assistance