Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

Hi I have been named as co respondent in a divorce. In the

Hi I have been named as co respondent in a divorce. In the prayer section of the divorce petition the petitioner has put that the costs should be claimed from the respondent. However, in the acknowledgement of service letter that I was issued, it questions whether I object to paying the costs of the proceedings, and if so on what grounds. Is this even relevant to me as the petitioner has requested that cost of the application should be claimed from the respondent?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask are you still in touch with the Respondent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Yes I am still in touch with the Respondent.

From what you have said she has not ticked the box to claim costs from you so you should simply say "they have not been sought from me"
However if you wish to assist the Respondent do NOT admit the Adultery - the Respondent can the negotiate with the petitioner and trade an admission for the withdrawal of the costs claim
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I already submitted my reply and although I did not admit the adultery I said I would object to costs being made against me on the grounds that there were several prior adulterous relationships of which I was aware. In other words, the marriage was already broken down before I was on the scene although the petitioner was not aware of these other relationships. I hope I didnt reply too hastily. Going by my response what is the outcome is likely to be? Are they likely going to want to investigate this further or will the divorce proceedings go ahead as set out in the petition?

If that is what you have said then all should be fines so far as you are concerned so do not worry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice and easing my mind during this stressful time. All the best :)

You are most welcome - good luck