Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

The title deeds to my house have gone missing. I have all the

The title deeds to my house have gone missing. I have all the plans and converyancing docs (I think/hope) but no Deeds. There is no mortage. I know the land registry title no. My ex partner has recently started a loan and debt managment company. I'm scared he's taken my deeds to use as collateral for a loan or loans for his business. Can he do this? Without the Deeds has my home been stolen?Cathy
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousand's of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Why do you think he has taken the deeds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because they have gone missing. I kept them with all the other conveyancing docs in a file which I kept in a drawer in my bedroom. I am extremely careful about filing everything of importance and know exactly where everything is. He has only started the loan and debt management company in the last 2 months and now I'm frightened he is using the value of my home as collateral so he can give out loans to people in dept. He originally said he wouldn't give out loans and would stick to debt management but has now started up loans. I do not believe he can afford to do this on his own. He doesn't own a credit card. Neither has he been able to pay his utility bills so has started using a pre-payment card. Something is wrong. I just need to know if he can use the Deeds (I hope I'm wrong by the way!!) as collateral for himself in some way?

PS If you don't know please just tell me. I need to act asap.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

If you bought it 9 years ago, it should be regd at HM Land Registry. Please confirm. Thanks

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is but I'm still worried about the Deeds being used to obtain a loan via fraudulant means eg identity theft or similar and then if the loan wasn't repaid I'd end up having to pay it?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - that helps a little. I have notified the police but I don't think they can do much because there is no proof and my house hasn't been broken into. It's more the worry that I could end up with someone else's debt. He has had access to all my personal info eg national insurance no, date of birth, address, and probably bank account details too etc etc. He has longterm female family friend who looks like me, and is my age. I just worry if she was to act as guarantor (using my ID) for his (or someone else's) loan if I'd end up being responsible for the repayment? Thank you for your help so far. I'll see if I can rate it now without deleting this. It's good to know the thread stays open.