Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Hi in 10 days I have a financial final hearing. I have

Hi
in 10 days I have a financial final hearing.
I have fibromyalgia which includes various mental, emotional and cognitive problems. I am receiving weekly one to one cognitive behavioural therapy through the NHS to help with the various mental, emotional and cognitive problems. This has just started to make a difference to my life. I was too ill to look through the ex to be form E paperwork or any other paperwork I have been sent. The therapist has said it would be a good idea to adjourn the court hearing whilst I'm having treatment, as it drains a lot of my energy. I am starting to be able to cope with life better and consequently I will be better able to cope with the Divorce paperwork. unfortunately we cannot choose when the NHS is able to treat us. Apparently at this stage in the therapy treatment I'm at more risk to myself!

I do have a solicitor they feel that I'm unlikely to get an adjournment on medical grounds! I'd like a second opinion of how likely am I going to get an adjournmenton medical grounds?

Is there any other way to get an adjournment?

Many Thanks
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that
case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

How much longer do you need?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It would be great if I could have the information sometime tomorrow

Thanks

Sorry, I mean, how long do you want?

What is the problem submitting this financial data, it is merely factual.

Have you asked the other sides solicitor if they will oppose the application? How long have you known about this hearing?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I would like to the end of september

I wasn't capable of going through my wifes Form E, I would have an emotional break down when I tried to read it. Some of my cognitive impairments are that I'm slow at thinking and have low concentration levels, which causes problems reading. The parts I of my wifes form E i have read are incorrect.

My solicitor hasn't mentioned the other sides solicitor. They have been fairly hostile in the past.

I have known about the hearing for about 6-8 weeks.

Thank
you. So why didn't you raise this six weeks ago?

I'm
sorry, but I don't think that the court is likely to agree this and the other
side is almost certain to object. It is only 10 days to the hearing and you are
that almost 2 months. The only possible way that this would be considered is if
you have a psychiatric report to say that this should be postponed. Will then
be for the other side to oppose it and for the judge to make a decision. You
really need to get the application in now. Problem is that you may struggle to
get the psychiatrist to write a report immediately.

I'm
sorry, I appreciate that a lot of this this is not the answer you wanted but
there is no point in me misleading. I have a duty to advise you truthfully and
honestly even if that answer is unfavourable.

Does
that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice