How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 68720
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has been in a mental health hospital for a month

Resolved Question:

My daughter has been in a mental health hospital for a month now after self harming and a third attempt at suicide. Last week she wasn’t supervised and cut her arms and thighs without anyone realising this. It was only my husband and I who noticed this after her weekend visit at home and we got in touch with the mental hospital instantly. Three days ago she left the mental hospital with a friend when the hospital should have supposedly been locked and they should have been supervised at all times. They were found after the help from the police.

Is this behavior acceptable? Can I make a complaint against this mental health hospital and ask for some sort of fine or do I have no chances of winning?
What do you suggest I do?

Many thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is she on constant watch? Is she a suicide risk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is in Chalkhill hospital. Suicide risk high. It's a close area with locks everywhere. She's got own room where she sleep. During the night she go to bed at 10pm. Door to her room is not lock. Person on the watch supposed to checks what she is doing every hour. From 7.30am to 10pm she is on constant watch in living area (main hall) where the other patients are.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Its an arguable point actually. As with all of this self harming incidents which take place while in the custody of another, there is prima facie a case to answer.

You essentially have to show negligence. The fact that she was on constant watch and was still able to do this doesn't necessarily mean negligence. Obviously some people are very manipulative. However, it does give rise to that inference

The difficulty with claiming compensation is that you yourself have not suffered loss. She has suffered loss but since she was thankfully not able to commit suicide the loss was not of a significant kind. The sums claimed would be low.

A better option though is to complain to the ombudsman. I suspect your aim anyway was to punish them for neglect rather than claim compensation. If so, that would be achieved.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the informative answer.

I am only confused what the ombudsman is. Is that an organisation? Where exactly do I complain to? Also, what will be the consequences of the complain, how exactly would they be punished?
What exactly should the complain include?


The whole point of her staying in the mental health hospital is that she wouldn't be able to self harm or commit suicide again. I am very worried for her safety and I believe she isn't any safer there than if she was at home. I have an appointment on 22nd of July to discuss her progress. Would I have the right to sign her out or do they have the right to keep her as long as they want? If they can't keep her safe from further harm what is the point in keeping her longer?


Once again, thank you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, thats more of a point for the tribunal that considers her release. Quite a lot of the things that people are detained for a not prevented by being held on section. If you think about it arsonists can still start fires on section. Usually the answer you will get is that a mental health ward is a contained environment which reduces the risk.

The complaints procedure is here

Whether or not they are punished depends on the negligence. Obviously being on constant watch cannot guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The doctors wanted to help so she got sent to the mental health ward. We don't want them to get in trouble, so maybe the complaint isn't a good idea? We would just like to take her out so is that possible without causing any trouble? They seem to be trying because she was sent for a CBT to a local hospital. We just want as much help for her as possible, not to complain.

We would like to take her home on the 22nd. Can they object?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, this is a very difficult situation.

Obviously you can appeal to the managers and to the tribunal.

The problem with self harm is that even those on constant watch do still find ways to self harm sometimes. The risk is reduced on a mental health ward but not eradicated.

That said, I used to do appeals to the tribunal and not all mental health wards are particularly caring places so I can completely see your wish to remove her early.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 68720
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Clare


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
< Last | Next >
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)

Related UK Family Law Questions