Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My neighbor signed as witnessed for my sons passport application,

My neighbor signed as witnessed for my son's passport application, but we made a mistake on the form and was rejected by the post office. Under time pressure I made a irrational mistake and forged my neighbor's signature with a different form. The passport office somehow found out. I'm been told the application will need to be re submitted with a different witness and I need to write to them and explain my action. Will I be prosecuted?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Does your neighbour know and is she complaining please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, neighbour does not (may not) know and most likely won't complaint. The passport office phone her to clarify on whether she signed a printed copy or hand written copy. She signed the printed copy which is not the copy I re submitted.

Thanks.

That is probably how they found out about this then. They noticed a slight difference in signatures and phoned her to confirm.

Whether you will be prosecuted or not is really a matter for their judgment. Certainly the fact that the neighbour is not complaining is very helpful. Also, the fact that you were basically making a genuine application will be helpful as will your early admissions to them.

Overall, if the neighbour isn't interested then probably you should not be prosecuted as there's no real public interest but whether you will or not is another matter. It wouldn't be the first time a prosecution with no public interest has been brought.

Overall though, you are in a fairly good position. Its certainly much better than being in a position where probably they should prosecute.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I tell my neighbour? I think I should.

If prosecuted, will it most likely be a fine? If so, apporx what size?

Yes, confess to your neighbour as soon as possible.

A fine is not an option with an offence of forgery upon a passport application. I wouldn't concern yourself with sentence. I would concentrate on avoiding a prosecution.