Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Hi. The court made a contact order for my daughter in June

Hi. The court made a contact order for my daughter in June of 2012 which specified how contact should be facilitated. As the mother lives 150 miles away the Order is specific in meeting at a certain location. My daughter has now turned 16 and still wants to maintain the same level of contact. She is still in full time education. The mother is ow refusing to abide by the Order because my daughter is 16. She has no other way of getting to me other than me doing a 300 mile round trip twice in a weekend. can oredrs be extended beyond 16?
Thank you
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Is there no public transport that your daughter can use to get half way?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Claire

Public transport is not easy. We meet in the middle of Cumbria. That is about a one hour car journey for each parent. The Order was made to ensure equity of responsibility, time and cost. Public transport involves a half hour journey to a mainline station, nearly two hours on one train, then another hour and a half on a further train. So three trains and an over all travel time of nearly five hours as against two by car. My daughter is also not very confident and dislikes travelling alone on the train. She wanst to maintain the status quo.

Thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Just a thought - is living with you instead not an option?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Claire

There is a deteriorating relatoinship between my daughter and her mother and partner. But my daughter is not confident of change. There is always a threat of her moving but I do not believe she would carry it out as all of her friends are in the North East.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Unfortunately your ex is correct - the provisions of the order ceased when your child turned 16 and it is unlikely that you will persuade a court that situation is so exceptional that the Order should be extended until your daughter is 18
You are however entitled to apply to the court and ask if you wish to do so
I am sorry not to be more positive but please ask if you need further details
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law