How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J , Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22353
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife of 15 years petitioned for divorce on the grounds of

Customer Question

My wife of 15 years petitioned for divorce on the grounds of my adultery, i did not contest this and decree nisi was granted with absolute being due for mid may. I have found out that this has not been applied for due to her asking for a financial settletment. We did not own a house, the marital home was rented in her name. There were no children of the marriage though I did help bring up her two youngest for part of our marriage, they have now left home and have their own lives. My wife never worked during our marriage and since our separation has been diagnosed with a health condition which means she will not be going back to work. She has sold/destroyed personal property of mine which could have formed part of any financial settlement. Her income in benefits is greater than mine (i work for minimum wage), I have been declared bankrupt prior to decree nisi and live with my new partner and her son. I am responsible for my new partner as she can not work because her son is severely disabled and can not be left alone. My questions are:

1 what sort of 'maintenance' can she apply for as I have no disposable income only pensions which are payable on retirement age

2 I can apply for decree absolute in August on the rules of time lapsed since decree nisi but can they hold it back. I am prepared to go with what the court says i must, but i can not see them awarding her anything since I have nothing to give but from my pensions. I want to be able to remarry in December, can i ensure i get absolute in time for this to happen?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you have no marital assets at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no marital assets no.


I was asked to leave the marital home and did so with the clothes i stood up in. because of threats of violence by her sons i had to take the police with me to retrieve my life saving medications, clothes and a few personal belongings. since then (almost a year ago) i have been allowed to collect a few more of my belongings but she has kept thousands of pounds worth of tools, diving equipment which would have formed part of any settlement - she now claims she does not have it. I certainly do not. the only asset i had was a motorcycle which a friend purchased from the insolvency people when i was declared bankrupt, the vehicle is registered in their name though i am allowed to use it.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

In which
case, she cannot get blood out of a stone, although she may be able to take a
proportion of your pensions and you would be able to take a proportion of hers
if she has any.

If she is
unreasonably refusing to allow you to get the decree absolute in August, you
are faced with a court application to resolve the financial issues.

Is she using
a solicitor?

Does she
know that you want to get married at the end of the year?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes she has a solicitor supposedly with legal aid and no, to the best of my knowledge she does not know i intend to remarry

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.
Don't let her know that you intend to remarry otherwise, just out of
awkwardness she may want to delay things.

On the
facts you have given she is unlikely to get any maintenance.

She can
object to you getting the decree absolute in August if she doesn't think that
she has an adequate settlement. If she doesn't get an adequate settlement (in
her eyes) and you want to press the matter, it is for the court to decide.

Does that
answer the question? Can I assist any further? I am happy to answer any
specific points you want to raise.

don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread
does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22353
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Stuart J and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for that


I have received a letter from her solicitor saying that she will not conclude the divorce until 'her claim to your pension rights can be dealt with and satisfied'


She has told her solicitor that i intend to claim my pension at age 50, if I do that i will lose out on the amount payable so it has never been my intention to claim my pension any earlier than the official retirement age of 66 as I believe it to be now.


can i be forced to claim the pension or part of it early? If I do not claim early can this be used to prevent my decree absolute from being granted. I am willing to share my pension with her as the law states but only when I retire

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

You cant be forced to claim early but she can hold up
divorce until it is finalised.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Clare


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
< Last | Next >
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years experience of all aspects of family law
  • jusleen's Avatar


    Family Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Joanne B's Avatar

    Joanne B

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified 1999 with over 12 years experience in Family Law.
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Woman solicitor, qualified in 1994, specialist in family law, accredited with Resolution
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)