Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

My wife of just over 7 years has left our family home to live

Customer Question

My wife of just over 7 years has left our family home to live with her latest lover having taken our two children of 12 and 7 with her too. Shes had four affairs in four years and enough is enough. She has asked me to commence divorce proceedings and despite mediation where she agreed to remove her belongings from the family home that I now inhabit alone she has failed now for over a year to remove all her belongings. She bought nothing financially to the marital home to which I contributed £47,000. I want to know can I remove her final goods from the house which is in joint names (despite her lack of contribution) and do I have to give her a 50/50 share of equity even though she bought nothing to the table.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
How long were you actually living together?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Claire
We lived together since 2000 marrying in 2007 after the birth of our second child.
The property was valued at 125,00-130,000 in January 2013 by estate agents x 3 in Ashford Kent
The current mortgage is £44,000. At mediation it was agreed her belongings would be removed by Christmas 2012,
Easter 2013 and then 30th June. She comes to the house and removes a couple of bags at a time and just let
these agreed deadlines by herself to pass by causing me huge difficulties in trying to restart MY new life after
the devastation she has wrought. Also at mediation it was agreed that I stay in the marital home (as she lives
in her new man's rented home totally financially cared for by hime - as she only works two part days as a cleaner).
The mediation also recommended that the financial settlement of the home should be that I receive an extra
£25,000 of the houses' equity which she agreed to at mediation. I intend to buy her out at my earliest convenience.

Kindest regards and thanks for all your help. Also if she fails to move out her belongings as agreed by her (now x 3) do
I have a right to change the locks as she has now abandoned the family home and taken my children with her.?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.