Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I have just received a letter from an ex with whom i bought

Customer Question

I have just received a letter from an ex with whom i bought a house in 1988. We paid everything 50/50 until we split in 1991, the only money i took from him after the split was the money my father had leant us to buy the property originally. The endowment policy is apparently still in both our names and is about to mature. He has written to me as Legal and General have stated that i must sign the documents to enable the policy to pay out.
Do i have any legal claim to any of this money?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

How much did you pay into the policy, how much has the ex paid?

When did payments stop?

Yrs?

The ex's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid in from 1988 to 1991 when we split, so i would say 2.5 years. I would have paid half of the monthly payment during that period as we shared all bills including mortgage, endowment, gas elec etc etc through a joint account. We paid in equal amounts to the joint account.

He has paid the last 22.5 years alone.

The payments will be stopping now - it was a 25 year policy.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

So, doing some maths, you
paid 5/50ths(10%) and she
paid 45/50ths (90%)

Your 2.5year money has been
in longer than her most recent payments. You therefore should get slightly more than a pro rata share of the
proceeds.

You are in a strong position
to negotiate because she cannot get this without yr signature or court order
and that will be expensive and risky.

My suggestion would be to
tell her that you will settle for 15%.

If you want an exact
calculation it is actuarial matter and expensive and time consuming.

Get the insurance co to pay
you direct.

Does that answer the question?
I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

Please
don't forget to positively rate my answer J service
(even if it was not what you wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time L. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Please bear with me today
because I will be online and off-line.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the answer! can you suggest how to proceed? Obviously they want to resolve this quickly and no doubt they are NOT expecting me to claim anything. Should I ask for the policy number and deal direct through Legal and General??

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OOh now theres a question - dont think so to be honest.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Will she agree to give you 15%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I suspect he thinks i will respond, sign the document and walk away. but if i am entitled to something i would like it. I dont really want to get into any "discussions" with him. what would you suggest as next steps?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats great - thank you very much.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!