Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

my 16 year old daughter does not want to see her mother. She

my 16 year old daughter does not want to see her mother. She has repeatedly told her this. She moved out of her mums home at 14 after having emotional abuse and twice physical abuse. the last few days her mum has been in contact through other means (email, facebook and other people). Today she made a phone call that was pretty awful, it was intimidating, forceful and undermining. The fact that my daughter has already advised her to not get in contact, is her mum breaking any law here, is it harassment?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Have you reported the matter to the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This was originally discussed with the police a few years ago when Melissa was registered under the child protection register through Thames valley police. Her mum was not informed. We did not think about calling the police this time as its all happened so quickly and wasn't even thought about. The call happened late afternoon yesterday and to be honest it's been enough just to pacify my daughter. She is scared of her mum. Is police the next step then?
There are two options - your daughter can apply for a Non Molestation Order in the Civil Court to stop her mother contacting her
or you can ask the police to issue an harassment warning which would make further contact a criminal matter
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep, your latter answer is what we are aiming to do so you have confirmed that this is the right route. A letter will be written by my daughter, supported by myself and sent to her, her partner and their solicitor indicating a harassment warning will be made if contact continues after that. If she does then the police will be contacted.

That is an excellent idea - I hope all goes well