Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

Hi.I have been separated for nearly six years. When my

Hi.

I have been separated for nearly six years. When my wife and I broke up we lived in rented accommodation. I left that home with only my clothes and personal effects, leaving behind everything else, TV's, washing machine, freezers etc etc.

I was injured at the time and was out of work although I have always spent time looking after my children. I have ensured that my wife has had money each week for maintenance of my children and frequently take them away for holidays and trips, I provide for clothing and educational materials.

I now think it's time to move on, my oldest daughter is now 18 whilst my youngest is 11. The youngest stays with me one or two days a week. I have provided for her at my home, (which is rented), with everything she could ever want. I pay for her Gymnastics and other leisure pursuits.

I am currently saving for a mortgage which I am hoping to achieve by early next year.

What financial arrangements would my wife be entitled to? She has never complained about what I have been giving her each week to date and appreciates my kids get everything I can give them. But that's now and I wonder what she will be intending in the future.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Andy.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I am still waiting for an answer.

Thanks.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 10 months ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
I will be happy to assist you but I need some further information first
What assets do you each have and what income do you each have?
Claire
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Clair sorry about the delay.

We have no assets to speak of. I earn £400 p/w before tax of which I give my wife £65 p/w she earns in the region of £120 p/w as she only works part time.

My concern is that once we get divorced or Judicial Separation can she come back in the future and demand more? I need to start saving for a mortgage and may have a good business deal early next year if I continue to work hard at what I am doing.

It is worrying that she will only work part time, (no other reason for not working full time) and could potentially try and get more from me.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Andy.

Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
Hi
How old are you both and how much could she earn if she worked full time?
Claire
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm 47 she is 43 she could probably earn around £240 p/w if she wanted to work full time.

Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.
Hi
The only claim that your ex has against you is for child maintenance - at 15% of your net income - less 2/7 if the child spends 2 nights a week in your care.
There are no capital assets for division between you - and there is no liability for you to pay spouse maintenance
It would be sensible to start divorce proceedings and within those seek an order dismissing all claims that you have on each other
I hope that this is of assistance
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law