Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Is it illegal in the UK for an Aunt and nephew to be in a sexual

Is it illegal in the UK for an Aunt and nephew to be in a sexual relationship if they are the same age (50) neither married and not able to have children?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The nephew found his birth family after 44 years apart. His aunt is the same age and unmarried as is he. She is unable to have children. They do not live together and seem very happy.

If you are saying that this is a nephew and aunt who are related by birth rather than by marriage and they are actually having sex or sexual activity then that is an offence I'm afraid.

The fact that they will not have children is no defence unfortunately.

Of course, the practical reality is that incest is very difficult to prove unless one or the other of them is prepared to give evidence against the other so the chances of consequences are fairly low compared to other offences. But unfortunately this would offend.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.