Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

Hi I have been separated from my husband for 2.5 years. We

Customer Question

Hi I have been separated from my husband for 2.5 years. We were married for 8 years and have 1 child (4). He is now seeking a divorce. Please can you advise if I am entitled to anything given that I have been living apart from him and supporting myself?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Has he supported for your child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has been providing child support. Mutually agreed at CSA rate. I suppose the root of my question relates to whether I can seek assistance with the level of debt I left the marriage with. I left the family home as I would not have been able to manage it financially on my own and I signed the house over to him. Possibly not the best thing to do but i wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I am currently working and providing a home for myself and my son but the debt i have which was incurred during the marriage is becoming unmanageable. Could I apply for him to take on some or all of the debt or is it too late?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Is the debt in joint names? What marital assets are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, the loan was taken out in my name to consolidate loans/credit cards three years before the marriage broke down. The only marital assets would be the house, two cars, pension and any savings he has (I have none at this time). Sorry it is a little vague. He kept much of his financial information to himself so I am not entirely sure what he has.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am going to opt out of this for another expert to consider.
Please do not reply or it comes back into my inbox. Another expert will pick it
up at some stage. It is now open to all experts.