Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Hi, i split from my husband bk in feb 2011. We have 2 daughters

Customer Question

Hi, i split from my husband bk in feb 2011. We have 2 daughters age 6 and 4. He started a new relationship in October 2011 with a girl thats 21 has a blind child under social services care who was on police tag is known for taking drugs and anti social behaviour. They now have a 1yr old boy together. We went to mediation bk in feb 2012 and he signed the mediation agrrement that the new gf would not be involved with my girls and he would stay at his mums with them. This weekend my children spent the whole weekend with the new gf. So I have just pulled the plug on his visitation and told him I want no contact with him unless its through a solicitor. Whats likely to happen if this goes to court? Can I ensure the new gf is not to be anywhere near my children? What are my rights as a mum?

Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Have her children been taken into care?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her daughter lives with her nan who has pr.social services are involved. Louise

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Has the baby been left with her?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes my husband and her

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Do you know if Social Services have been involved with the baby at all?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know if they are or not im afraid. Either way I dont feel comfortable with her being involved with my girls.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi
What explanation did your ex give and did the children have any problems with the visit?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ex told my girls to not tell me. But they did. He didnt tell me and I have no idea where they even live!

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi Louise
In the eyes of the court his failure to let you know where the children were staying and the fact that he encouraged them to lie will be seen as being more serious than the issue of his partner given that the original agreement was made over a year ago
I appreciate that you feel strongly about his partner - and I understand why - but realistically if they stay together then sooner or later she will be involved in the contact.
You are certainly entitled to be assured that the drug issues are behind her - but the fact that the baby has been left with her suggests that Social Services do not view her as a risk to children.
So whilst it is reasonable for you to stop staying (not visiting) contact whilst you once again discuss the way forward it would not be wise to let this matter go to court I am afraid.
Sorry that I cannot be more positive - if you need further information then please ask
Claire