How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After my marriage ended I received a settlement in 19000. I

This answer was rated:

After my marriage ended I received a settlement in 19000. I have now been living with a new partner for 3 years. He transferred his own mortgage and put that into the house we have a joint mortgage we have now. It took me five years to get my settlement when my marriage broke up and I put it into an Isa and we spent 5000 of it on our current house. We are now experiencing difficulties and he is staying at his mums for a while but he has said that if we end up selling our house I have got to put my settlement from my marriage to pay off the extra borrowing. I don't want to do this as I only earn 11000 per year and he is on 35000. I have a son to support and couldn't afford to keep the house on. So I would have to move out and would need the settlement to help with my rent. I was hoping to suggest that he keep the house and request the 5000 back from him. So he will still have a house and an investment and I take my name off mortgage move out ant rent but keep my settlement. We are not married but he says I have to put it in the house is this true?

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have children together?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No . My son is from my marriage

He has no claim whatsever on yr personal assets, but you are jointly liable along with him for any shortfall on loans or mortgage. How you pay that is up to you.
Does that answer?
Stuart J and 3 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you