Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I am very concerned about money. I only have £5,000 left and

I am very concerned about money. I only have £5,000 left and only work one day a week so don't earn enough to survive over the next few months while all this legal stuff is going on. I am worried that I won't be able to pay my solicitor. He sends me monthly bills at the moment. Is there anything I can get so I can so for ancillary relief?
Hi
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
What income do you and your ex each have?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I get £600 a month tax credits but I feed myself and the 3 girls so all that goes on food. I earn £150 which runs the car for a month. I get £188 child benefit which covers Sky TV, Phone, Broadband, Children's clothes, shoes, outgoings, toiletries for all of us. If we got out I have to use my savings which is what has been happening for the past 6 months since I decided to divorce. He gets rent off properties to pay mortgage and bills. Any money he earns goes on himself. The whole situation has been totally unfair and nobody seem to be doing anything about it. My solicitor is also Grade A solicitor but I probably need a good one. Isn't there an Interim Maintenance Order I can get from the court or won't they give it me?

Hi
What income does he actually have - for m all sources - best assessment you can manage?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well he is self-employed and last years profits only showed £1,500 each for both of us as we were partners then. Because he is still self-employed as a sole trader I don't really know but I do know he has been doing building work for someone since January earning around £400 a week.

Hi
Have you considered getting your parents to pay the rent to you as we discussed?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did think of that but I didn't want to start a war. Worried that he might not pay mortgage and bills.

Hi
Sorry I thought he did that from the rent money?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He gets £650 rent off the house next door and £500 off my mum and dad. The mortgage is £1060 so he has some left over to cover electricity and water rates. I am worried if I took the £500 to cover my legal fees for the next few months that he may not pay the electricity and water and expect me to pay.

Hi
I am a little confused here - there are two rental properties involved?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My mum is in the annexe and the house next door is rented out and of course we live in another one.

Hi
What rent does he receive from the house next door - is it enough to cover both the mortgages?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Like I said before he gets £650 a month for the house next door plus £500 off my mum and mortgage is £1060 leaving £90 for electricity and water rates per month.

Hi Debbie
Remind me has the financial application actually been made?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No not yet I was going ask my solicitor for the form next week

Hi
Nothing can happen until the Financial Application has been made.
It is possible that you may be granted spousal maintenance -but not certain since he is using the rental monies to pay the bills on the house
I understand the problem with regard to the bills and this is a matter that you must discuss with your solicitor to see what schemes they are able to offer
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information.
Claire