Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I am involved in a protracted process of marriage breakdown.

I am involved in a protracted process of marriage breakdown. Divorce was initiated by my wife in June 2011 following almost two years of separation. Unreasonable behaviour was cited as grounds, uncontested by myself. A decree nisi was granted in Feb 2012. We are still not divorced. In the interim a profitable business was destroyed, both our children are hostile and estranged towards myself and we are bankrupt. I am now almost two years into a Mareva Injunction, again with no visible end in sight. My wife has refused point blank to debate or negotiate since the outset. Her solicitor and erstwhile friend went bust a year ago, and no longer acts on her behalf. She now very sporadically employs a young and inexperienced solicitor who seems at best out of his depth.

I need advice specifically re the following:

Just as I was about to run out of money, and as a final desperate act to finalise the divorce process initiated by my wife, I instructed a barrister to draw up a marital agreement to present to my wife's solicitor to bring the curtain down on 4 years of hell and allow us to go our separate ways. On a practical level, and given that I am now bankrupt, the marital agreement included a proposal to lift the Mareva Injunction, itself now futile given our respective bankruptcy. That was 5 months ago, my wife and her solicitor have ignored repeated requests to even at the very least enter into discussions to have the issue brought to a conclusion.

Even though I'm the respondent, is there any way I can circumvent what appears to be a ludicrous decision by my wife to thwart her own process and get the divorce finished?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How far has the Financial Application actually reached within the Court process?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whole finance issue was thrown out by the Master in the High Court, as we owed £7m against £3m in assets, also my wife earns £45k pa.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
What did the Master say should happen next?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't, anyway, the crux of my dilemma can be summed up as follows. Can I proceed with the divorce without cooperation from my wife and her counsel, given their unreasonable decision to obfuscate my attempts at resolution and conclusion? If not do I have any recourse to making a complaint to the Law Society of Northern Ireland re my wife's present solicitor's failure to acknowledge the meticulously prepared statement by a barrister with his prior consent to present same to his client and elicit a response, any response? Furthermore, given your obvious extensive experience in the sewer of adversarial divorce, why the f*** would you initiate a divorce process then at the last hurdle act dead?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Fair question - basically it has been as profitable as she wished and now she is just being spiteful - is one explanation - not that I know enough about the case to say of course!
Has the Master actually said that the Decree Absolute cannot be applied for until the financial issues are dealt with
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he did not say that.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Then your first step is to simply apply for the Decree Absolute as you are entitled to do given the time that has elapsed since the Decree Nisi.
If your ex objects on the ground that the financial agreement is not concluded then you can ask the Master to make an "Unless" order - as in unless the finances are resolved within 28 days - or brought to trial - the the Absolute will be made
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Claire, finally before I accept your help - how do I do this. Do I just walk into the High Court in Belfast?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
This link - at the bottom - tells you what you need to do
http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/Services/Matrimonial/PractionerInfo/Pages/default.aspx
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law