Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

Customer Question

Me and my partner separated in November. I left with our daughter to my home country, away from the UK. Since then he applied to court for a residence order for our daughter. The preliminary hearing is scheduled for May, 2nd. However, now he wants to postpone the court for us to work out an agreement. He suggests we meet and discuss. He also wants to see our daughter. I wonder whether it is safe to go back with her to the European Union and whether there is a legal way for him to take her away from me at this stage.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and did you ask the father's permission to remove the child from the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

The child is almost 4. There is an argument going on whether he did or did not ask us to leave. The court proceedings are sisted at the moment. Therefore, he is asking to meet to define the terms of the future agreement and also to see the child. We have agreed to meet in France, but I am conscious he might attempt to do something to take her away from me. I am not sure whether I still should go to France with our daughter to meet him.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Which country are you in at the moment?