Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I have never seen my daughter and she is now 13 years old.

I have never seen my daughter and she is now 13 years old. I only found out i was the father last year through a DNA test. I have tries everything to try and see her as i have missed so much of her life but the mother wants nothing to do with me apart from taking my money. I was also informed my daughter is deaf, dumb and in a wheelchair through my lawyer, how can this woman get away with taking my money and not let me see my daughter. To me it seems unfair that i need to give this woman money. When can i stop paying her the ridiculous fee of £300 a month.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to assist you but need some further information first.
What steps have you taken to pursue contact to date?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have spoken to a lawyer who suggested that if i take her to court i probably wouldnt have a chance of seeing my daughter as i havent been involved in her life and due to her condition the courts might see this as upsetting her due to her condition. In regards XXXXX XXXXX i contacted the child support agency to try and lower the payments they were not intrested and couldnt tell me how long i would need to pay child support for due to my daughters condition.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Does the condition have a name?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure what the name is XXXXX XXXXX seems to effect her growth as she needs regular injections for this, plus has also affected her eye site, speach and hearing. In the letter from her mothers lawyer to my lawyer it just stated that she had all the conditions.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Bearing in mind her disability what contact would you like?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to try and be a part of my daughters life to see her and make sure she is being looked after and help where i could.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
You will have to pay the CSA so long as your daughter is under 20 an din full time education.
If her mother wishes to try and extend this she will have to make a separate court application prior to the child's 18th birthday
With regard to contact it may well be that the solicitor is right - but at present it is far from certain.
It is not unreasonable for you to wish to know more about her condition, possibly have a picture and maybe even visit her at school even if you do not speak to her.
You should try and discuss this with her mother using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) - and if not apply to the Court for a defined contact order asking for Indirect Contact if nothing else
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought it was only up to the age of 16 i had to pay the child support unless she was in full time education. I believe she is not in any type of education due to her conditions so would it be 16 i would stop paying

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Given her condition it is in fact likely that she will indeed stay in education until she is 19.
She will certainly stay in education until she is 18 since in 2015 that become the minimum school leaving age
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help, no justice in this world

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Sadly I have to agree with you
Claire
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law