Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law

I am in a process of divorce with my husband. We share the

I am in a process of divorce with my husband.

We share the mortgage, and he has been paying the mortgage and main bills as I have little income. But I have been paying such as telephone, food and any shortfalls. He now tells me to pay half of everything until we sell the house. If I cannot make the bill, obviously it leads to reposetion or bankruptcy, but it is going to be both of us are going bankruptcy, not just me?
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to assist but need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
How much do you each earn and what bills are in your name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have been married since April 2001, and we have lived together since 2000. We purchased the house in 2006.

We have no children.

I work as self employed beauty therapist, I started to earn money just about 5months ago, and earning just about 700 a month.

I pay food, shortfalls of bills and telephone+tv package, some insurance for domestic appliances or pet and my own credit card.

Which household bills are actually in your name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

telephone, which is virgin media only.

What income does your ex have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He receive 39k per annum.

Your husband cannot force you pay half of the bills.
Those that are in his name are his responsibility in any event.
If the Mortgage is not paid ion full then you will BOTH face financial difficulty - not just you.
In fact if you start divorce proceedings you may even be able to apply for spouse maintenance against him.
I suggest that you point this out to him and offer to attend Family mediation in order to work out a reasonable settlement.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information or clarification
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice, in terms of spouse maintanance, how can I work it out? Will Family Mediation sort out the amount etc? Sorry I am not from this country, nothing is familier for me.

He just wants to terrify me, maybe, but he is saying he is now in Debt management plan, so he does not have to pay full amount of everything. I cannot see it is true. or is it?

It is never easy to work out what spouse maintenance should be as it is based on your reasonable needs as against your ability to produce income.
For now it would be reasonable for him to continue to pay the mortgage in full and the bills.
Other wise it is a matter which will have to be negotiated - perhaps a payment for a year or so to allow you to build up your business